Categories of membership
ACTIVE MEMBERS - are owners, trainers, drivers or breeders of standardbred horses who are licensed by and in good standing with the California Horse Racing Board, or are active members of the U.S. Trotting Association.
CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS - are individuals, firms, partnerships or corporations interested in or directly involved in the California standardbred industry. Contributing members enjoy all benefits of membership except voting privileges.
Benefits of membership
SULKY INSURANCE ($1250 Maximum with $250 Deductible) - Remember, in order for your sulky claim to be honored, the trainer, the owner or owners of the horse, the owner or owners of the sulky and the driver of the horse MUST ALL be members of the California Harness Horsemen's Association in order for a damaged sulky to be covered.
WORKER'S COMPENSATION INSURANCE FOR TRAINERS - CHHA administers a special fund to reimburse trainers up to $2,000 per policy year for enrolling in the State Fund worker's compensation program.
HEALTH & MEDICAL INSURANCE - CHHA offers its members self-pay health, medical, dental, and vision coverage.
Other advantages of membership
- Representation before the California Horse Racing Board
- Representation before the California State Legislature
- Representation before the Federal Legislative Committees of U.S. Congress
- Representation in negotiations with operators for the Horsemen's Agreement
- Annual awards ceremony, membership meeting and luncheon
- Newsletters and website updates with important industry information
- The services of a knowledgeable team who dedicate their efforts toward the betterment of the standardbred racing and breeding industry in California